Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Little things

It's rainy and cloudy here in Southeast Michigan today. The perfect weather to make homemade soup, Italian wedding soup to be exact. My youngest son Alex loves this soup. I just made about 200 mini meatballs! This is a time consuming task, but so worth the end product. Not to mention how much joy it brings me when dinner is served and everyone is full and happy. It amazes me how the little things can bring such joy to me and my family. Have a wonderful day and enjoy the little things!

Peace and Blessings



Italian Wedding Soup

Just a quick disclaimer, all measurements are aproximate. If you are Italian or know someone who is, besides talking with our hands, we just throw the ingredients in the pot, no measuring. Some how it always turns out!

Meatballs

1 lb. ea. sweet italian sausage and ground turkey
about a hanful of mixed italian spices (basil,rosemary,oregano,garlic)
3/4 cup parmesan romano blend
salt and fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp. sage
1 whole egg

Mix all ingredients well. Form into mini meatballs. Lightly brown in olive oil but do not cook all the way. Set aside.

Soup

1 1/2 cups ea. cubed carrot, celery and onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
20 oz. roughly chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
small bunch roughly copped kale
14 cups of chicken stock
additional italian spices as desired
Acini di pepe pasta

Lightly saute carrot, onion, celery and garlic. Add broth and bring to low boil. Add spinach, kale and meatballs. Slow boil for about 30-35 min. to ensure meatballs are cooked through. Now add Acini di pepe pasta. Lower heat to simmer. The longer the simmer, the better the taste.

Mangia!




4 comments:

  1. Hello! I will be your newest follower! Glad to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! My family says I can ramble on forever, so why not share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I'm following you too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am new to this. Hope to post some pics soon. Still trying to figure it all out.

      Delete